Our Assessments Cover
- Lead & Cadmium (in construction)
- Nuisance Dust
At AAA Lead Inspections, we perform the following assessments to address mold concerns:
- Indoor Air Quality (AIQ) Investigations to assess moisture issues and identify fungal growth
- Conduct Mold Awareness Training
Mold can be found in attics, basement/crawlspaces, bathrooms, kitchens, laundry rooms, and many other moist places. Mold survives in households and other buildings because of moisture, food source, and poor ventilation in the area it is housed. Some food sources mold are commonly found on are drywall, wall paper, insulation, and wood. The mold survives off these materials and feeds off them.
Mold is hazardous and can affect many people in different ways. It can create an allergic reaction, cause flu-like symptoms, activate asthma, create a skin rash, and fungal infections (very rare). Most people will not be affected by this. People who are pregnant, infants, elderly, have respiratory conditions, and have a weakened immune system are more susceptible to mold spores.
How to Get Rid of Mold
Most common household biocides do not kill the mold 100% and the mold will keep coming back unless the food source is removed and the moisture problem is resolved. For smaller areas, removal of the materials and/or detergent mixed with water can help get rid of mold. For large scale areas that are infested, professional assistance is recommended to help get rid of the mold problem.
Mold Prevention Tips
- Repair any leaks in the building as soon as possible.
- Look for moisture. If you locate moisture, repair the problem
- Keep your HVAC drip pans clean, unobstructed, and keep them flowing properly
- Perform HVAC inspections regularly.
- Monitor humidity indoors. Keep it below 70% and around 20%-60% if possible
- Keep moisture-generating appliances such as dryers vented.
- Keep kitchens and bathrooms vented according to code.
While those are just some ways to prevent mold, many other instances can occur. If you think mold growth is starting, the problem will need to be fixed as soon as possible. If you are unsure of what to do, contact AAA Lead Inspections for assistance.
- Air Contaminants
- Toxic & Hazardous Substances
- Mineral Dusts
- EPA Mold Information
- OSHA IAQ Publication
- See All